It’s like Cherry on Cake, when two most eye-bobbling food products- Butter and Cannabis are processed to make one fantastic and delicious food product Cannabutter.
In simple words, Cannabutter is cannabis-infused regular butter, which is often used to make cannabis edibles.
- 30 Grams of decarboxylated cannabis
- 500 ml water
- 450-500 grams butter
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- A large bowl
- Hand Grinder
- 1 Saucepan with a lid
- 1 Wooden spoon
Step 1: Decarboxylation
The first step of the cannabutter recipe is Decarboxylation. Raw cannabis contains the non-intoxicating acidic cannabinoid called THCA and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), which are an inactive form of THC and CBD.
When we heat these compounds, the CBDA gets converted into CBD, and THCA gets converted into THC. These are the molecules that produce a euphoric effect on consumption.
How to Decarboxylate?
- Break up the cannabis flower or buds into smaller pieces.
- Place these cannabis pieces on an oven-safe, non-stick plate.
- Cover this tray with parchment to avoid sticking.
- Heat the cannabis for 30-40 minutes, at a temperature of 240F
- Keep Stirring the cannabis every 10-15 minutes.
- The cannabis will look darker in color if it’s decarboxylated correctly.
- Coarsely grind the decarboxylated cannabis with a hand-grinder once it gets cooled.
Step 2: Melt The Butter
The next phase of the cannabutter recipe is to melt the butter. Add the butter and water into a saucepan, slow cooker or stockpot. Keep simmering gently until the butter gets melted.
Step 3: Add cannabis and simmer
Once the butter melted adequately, add the decarboxylated cannabis to the mixture. Stir the mixture well.
Step 4: Simmer the mixture
The next step in the cannabutter recipe is to simmer the mixture. Keep simmering the mixture for 2-3 Hours at temperature 160F-200F. Maintain the temperature below 200F.
Step 5: Strain the Cannabutter
Once the Cannabutter gets cool, refine it by aligning the top of a funnel with some cheesecloth. Pour the cannabis-infused butter mixture into a container/jar.
Step 6: Store the Jar in a refrigerator
Once the Cannabutter gets strained to the Jar, keep the Jar into a fridge to let it convert into solid butter form.